in Toronto this month: International Symposium on Code Generation and Optimization

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon Apr 5 21:34:39 UTC 2010

This is about compilers etc.
  <http://www.cgo.org/cgo2010/index.html>

This is a conference for presenting research work.  If you don't know
anything about the topics, the sessions won't make any sense.  (Don't
infer that they will make sense if you do know something about the
topics.)

After today, the registration fees go up.  Sponsored by IEEE and ACM,
not for profit, and yet not cheap: US$550 for members.  Tutorials and
worshops extra.

I'm not finding many things in the program compelling.  The tutorials and
workshops look more interesting.

I didn't know of <http://dynamorio.org/home.html> (open source from
VMWare) or <http://www.pintool.org/> (free but not open source; from
Intel).  Both are instrumentation tools and each has a tutorial.

The ODES workshop's focus is on Software Defined Radio.

Transactional Memory may become important.  There is a tutorial on that.

EPIC (think: itanium) may eventually turn out to be important.  The
workshop looks interesting.

Too bad the Open64 workshop is cancelled.  Open64 is an open source
compiler suite.  I've never used it.  Has anyone else?  I think I heard
that Apple is switching to using it.