Spiders and crawlers

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Mon Apr 5 17:35:26 UTC 2010

On 5 April 2010 12:41, Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org>wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 01, 2010 at 05:56:35PM -0400, Evan Leibovitch wrote:
> > I'm looking to implement a spidering system intended to look through a
> bunch
> > of catalog websites, in order to track changes to those catalogs (with
> the
> > help of a backend MySQL system).
>
> I always wonder: Why mysql?  Postgresql is an obviously better and more
> scalable choice.  Why do so many people just barge ahead with mysql?

And I often wonder why some people like answering a question with a totally
unrelated (and in many cases, irrelevant) answer?
MySQL is a tiny detail to this issue, it could as easily be any generic SQL
database and in this situation I don't have a choice. I was just giving a
hint to how the final data would have to be presented.

Sheesh.

> Any help is appreciated.
>
> Well I haven't ever done that. :)

So why did you bother answering?