OT: ebook, print documentation tools

Rajinder Yadav devguy.ca-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Sep 30 22:26:39 UTC 2009

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 02:17:05PM -0400, Rajinder Yadav wrote:
>> This is terrific, I think I will download this tonight and start to
>> play around with it.
>
> Yes tex (and tetex and latex) are a very good method.  Lyx is one way
> to write that (not one I ever got along with when I last looked at it,
> although that was years ago).

I know what you mean about not getting along with Lyx. I like the output of Lyx
but then got a bit frustrated trying to figure out how to layout my code
samples. I almost gave up on it, but then figured out how to do this after some
not so fun searching. I'm not big on learning yet another language (Tex, Latex)
just to write my own notes, with the possibility to expand into a book of some
quality.

> docbook is the other common way to do things these days.

I find docbook may be easier to do a few simple things with, and is built on
SGML, From my initial gut feeling, I think LaTex is the way to go. I just don't
want to go down the rabbit hole to learn LeTex commands =P

I am trying to survive with the one command I discovered "\being{verbatim} ...
\end{verbatim}" for formatted text such as source code.

I found a cool code color highlight command line tool, but for the life of me I
can't insert the generated Tex or Latex output without getting a bunch of
errors! Yet I can import it into a empty Lyx doc and it will produce a PDF doc
without any complaints, really stupid how Lyx works.

I just got a reply from the author of Highlight pointing me to a link of how to
include source code in Lyx.

> Both work well.  Word processors, html, etc do not.

Well if you ask, Chris F.A. Johnson, he will tell you APress thinks MS Word
processor works well ;)

--
Kind Regards,
Rajinder Yadav