Mount same ext3 filesystem in 2 places... at the same time

William Muriithi william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 29 16:54:50 UTC 2009

2009/9/29 John Miles <jmiles242-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>:
> I thought that must be the case.
>
> What exactly causes the corruption (out of curiosity, and only if you have a
> moment).

Think of it like a file. Now if you open the file with two editors,
both can not write as they would can never be sure what the other
editor is changing. File editors solve this being opening the file
read only should the file already be in use.

Filesystem however will allow you to change stuff should you insist on
setting it up this way. Most of the time nothing bad happen because
both mount point may not end up editing the same blocks. However,
should that happen - like on a busy server - you are bound to get
something you will not like