Mount same ext3 filesystem in 2 places... at the same time

John Miles jmiles242-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 29 14:34:01 UTC 2009

Hi Everyone,

I was fixing a problem for my customers where logins were hanging
intermittently. Once they started hanging, I had to reboot the machine.
I found this in /etc/fstab:

 grep /home /etc/fstab
/dev/sdb1            /home                ext3       acl,user_xattr        1
2
/dev/sdb1            /home2               ext3       acl,user_xattr        1
2

Only one user has that home located in /home2
And.... /home2 is exported via NFS...

Still being a #NIX newbie, thought I ought to pose the question:

Can an ext3 filesystem be mounted in 2 places at the same time?

Thanks!

JohnM