Problem installilng new nvidia drivers

Thomas Milne tbrucemilne-TcoXwbchSccMMYnvST3LeUB+6BGkLq7r at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 28 21:59:39 UTC 2009

On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 5:34 PM, Giles Orr <gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> 2009/9/28 JoeHill <joehill-R6A+fiHC8nRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org>:
>> Dave Germiquet wrote:

>>> Are you sure that it didn't install? I've had issues where both kernel
>>> drivers were installed, and when X started to load it loaded the wrong
>>> version.
>>>
>>> Can you uninstall the nvidia drivers that were installed by the
>>> kernel? Thats what I did on my ubuntu install so it would not happen
>>> again.
>>
>> On the last command, 'apt-get install -t unstable nvidia-glx', I saw it
>> installing the wrong version. Previous to that, I had removed them.
>
> I'm at work (and thus, sadly, at a Windows box) so I can't check the
> steps I went through for a similar upgrade at home ... but the first
> thing that comes to mind would be to check if the sources.list file
> has entries for "unstable".

Pardon my identity crisis...

I'm positive it does, I was looking at that previously to see if it
was set up correctly. Now, I also do not have the laptop in front of
me, and I just realized I didn't check to see if /etc/apt/prefs was
set up right. Would that make a difference when actually _specifying_
unstable on the command line though?