Still fighting against telco's limiting other ISP

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sat Sep 26 07:34:53 UTC 2009

| From: Amanda Yilmaz <ayilmaz-e+AXbWqSrlAAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>

| I remember reading an article a few months ago detailing an emerging
| problem which could eventually make access to the central office moot:
| those roadside telephone wiring cabinets (I don't know the technical
| name, sorry) which are increasingly popping up, particularly in new
| residential developments.

This may or may not be what has happened in my neighbourhood (Yonge
and York Mills -- not a new development).  It used to be that the CO
was so far away (by wire) that ADSL was slow.  I forget the figure,
but 5km might be it.

Perhaps a year ago, Bell started offering me ADSL2 (but the competitive ADSL
vendors have not and perhaps cannot).  I think that this is "fibre to
the X" where X is probably "node".

As a side effect, my ordinary ADSL (from whoever just took over
look.ca's ADSL business) has improved.  Yipee!