Still fighting against telco's limiting other ISP

Fri Sep 25 19:47:11 UTC 2009

On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 02:55:02PM -0400, Colin McGregor wrote:
>On 9/24/09, Madison Kelly <linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> Maureen Thornton wrote:
>>> Would be very interesting to hear if you even get any replies!
>>> Maureen
>>
>> So far, only Ignatieff's office has even sent an auto-reply. :)
>>
>> If I hear anything, I'll pass it on.

I received auto-responses from Layton and Ignatieff, and I have now
received this from Jack Layton's office:

Thank you for writing me with your concern over broadband competition in
Canada.

New Democrats recognize that high quality, affordable, and
across-the-board access to broadband internet is an important factor in
Canada's innovation and technology agenda for the foreseeable future.

I fully agree with the many Canadians writing me that the presence of
competition to provide broadband service plays a key role in the economy
of tomorrow. Furthermore, I believe that the policy direction of the
federal government should be focused on fostering, not stifling, as much
competition as possible.

My caucus colleague, Charlie Angus, is the New Democrats' Critic for
Digital Issues. He has led the way in Parliament on internet-related
issues like this one. To find out more about his work, please visit:
http://charlieangus.net.

Again, thank you for your message. Please visit our website at
www.ndp.ca to learn the latest about our team of New Democrats. All the
best.

Sincerely,

Jack Layton, MP (Toronto-Danforth)