Still fighting against telco's limiting other ISP

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Sep 25 16:38:14 UTC 2009

S P Arif Sahari Wibowo wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Sep 2009, James Knott wrote:
>> There are some competitors that install equipment in the Bell CO.  A
>> few years ago, I was configuring some DSLAM shelves for Sprint in
>> Bell COs.
>
> Which Sprint is this? What it is doing in Canada? :-)
Sprint Canada, actually Call-Net was bought by Rogers about the time I
was doing that work.  I have no idea if Rogers is still continuing with
the ADSL business, though they did for a while.

> It seems that if an ISP install its own equipment, then there is no
> technical way Bell can impose its limitation, isn't it?
No they can't.

>> A case could be made that Sympatico be completely severed from Bell,
>> with Bell providing only the pairs to them on the same basis as they
>> would any other ISP.
>
> Except that Sympatico / Bell Internet is a subsidiary of Bell, so it
> will be the best interest of Bell to determine a policy that is most
> advantageous for Sympatico / Bell Internet.

That is why they should be severed.  The way it is right now, it's a wee
bit too cozy to be good for competition.  Bell should be providing only
the "last mile" and have no involvement whatsoever with internet.
Incidentally, several years ago, there was an article in Linux Journal
about a city wide ethernet network in Wellington, New Zealand.  The
company proving the connection did just that and nothing else.  A
customer would then contract with some ISP to provide internet access to
them via the public ethernet network.