Still fighting against telco's limiting other ISP

Colin McGregor colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 24 19:13:09 UTC 2009

On 9/24/09, Amanda Yilmaz <ayilmaz-e+AXbWqSrlAAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I'd love to write a letter of my own about this, ASAP.
>
> However, I may be limited in what I can do because I'm not a citizen of
> Canada yet, though I am a permanent resident (landed immigrant) and intend
> to apply for citizenship once I'm eligible, which should be next year.
>
> Before I start composing my letter, does anyone here know what the legal
> situation is for non-citizen residents who wish to contact MPs or other
> government officials urging them to act on a major issue such as this one?
>
> Is it okay to contact them, with the understanding that a letter from a
> non-citizen would obviously carry less weight? Or is it considered
> interference from an outsider, illegal and a deportable offence?
>
> Even if it's legal to contact them, I'm also concerned about marking myself
> as a troublemaker and inviting retaliation before I manage to obtain
> citizenship.
>
> To be clear about this, I'm not talking about misrepresenting myself as a
> citizen, since that would almost certainly be illegal, as well as dishonest.
> But I live here too, and I'd like to know what I can do to help on this
> issue.
>
> Amanda

I can not speak to the whole being tagged as a trouble-maker issue.
Could some of the new Canadians on this list comment?

But if I were in your shoes I would be inclined to write something
that started like:

------------------------------------

Dear David J. Broadfoot, MP

I am a resident of your ridding of Kicking Horse Pass. I would like to
share with you my serious concerns regarding the CRTC decision to ....

Honest, polite, and non-confrontational. Just one of the people in the
MP's ridding noting a real concern with a public policy question. The
fact that you are not a citizen quite yet to MY mind is not
material...

Colin McGregor

P.S.:  Yes, I did listen / watch too much "Royal Canadian Air Farce"
in my youth, thus the choice of the ridding of Kicking Horse Pass...