remote backup options

Darryl Moore darryl-90a536wCiRb3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 22 22:20:12 UTC 2009

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 04:55:17PM -0400, Darryl Moore wrote:
>> I seriously don't think we are talking about the same think here.
>>
>> http://rsnapshot.org/
>
> Yes that is what I am talking about.  Last I checked the options it
> certainly didn't look like ti would work well with a remote target.

I think you'll have to explain yourself here. It communicates with the
remote server via rsync. Rsync was designed to be efficient at
replicating files over a distance.

> Maybe they have changed that.

don't you know? You said you used it a lot.

> I suppose if you do a pull from the target
> to backup, to the backup server, then that would solve that problem, but
> then you have to find a backup service that runs rsnapshot on the server.

What is the problem that needs solving exactly? I believe the server
only needs to run rsync in server mode. The rsnapshot utilities are run
on the system to be backed up.

Are you still sure we are talking about the same thing?

>> You are completely wrong about using NFS over the internet. Besides the
>> data loss issues if you lose the connection, you have other issues with
>> unencrypted traffic and poor bandwidth use.
>
> I wouldn't run NFS over the internet.  It would be crazy.

Then why did you say "Well if the remote offers you an NFS mount, then
it might work ok."?

<scratches head>

I think I'm going to go have a little lie down now