really weird(?) DNS setup on linksys router running DD-WRT

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 21 16:44:45 UTC 2009

| From: Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org>
| To: tlug-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org
| Subject: Re: [TLUG]: really weird(?) DNS setup on linksys router running
|     DD-WRT
|
| On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 11:41:42AM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:

| > dns says 'put 127.0.0.1 in resolv.conf'

DNS servers don't normally say anything like that to an agent that
modifies resolv.conf

| > dhcp client says 'put foo in resolv.conf'
| >
| > Not a very stable configuration.  Often seen when revolveconf package
| > is in use.
|
| In other words, don't install a caching name server on a dhcp client
| machine. :)

I do.  Well, my DNS servers are not just caching, but that isn't
relevant.

It can make sense for a gateway machine to use a DHCP client to
configure its outward facing interface and to also run a DNS server
for the LAN.  What resolv.con says on that machine may not even
matter:  there may not be any resovers run on that machine.

There are many many configurations that make sense.  And more that
don't.