really weird(?) DNS setup on linksys router running DD-WRT

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 21 14:53:18 UTC 2009

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 10:48 AM, Robert P. J. Day
<rpjday-L09J2beyid0N/H6P543EQg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Sep 2009, Marcelo Cavalcante wrote:
>
>> Well... The computer should get only the router's ip as its DNS.
>> But, the router should be pointing to an external DNS server. For
>> example, the open DNS. Try it. Configure the router to use the
>> opendns:
>>
>>     208.67.222.222
>>     208.67.220.220
>>

>> Cheers
>
>  right, that's the way *i* would have set things up.  i was trying to
> figure out if there was a universe in which it made any sense to have
> the internal systems point to the router, and the router point back to
> the internal systems.  so i'm going to assume the answer is "no."

I could see having *MOST* internal systems point to the router, then
have the router point back to a cacheing DNS server inside the
network.

Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach  - "Even a stopped clock is right twice a
day." - http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/m/marie_von_ebnereschenbac.html