site uptime monitoring tool

Rajinder Yadav devguy.ca-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Sep 19 03:37:10 UTC 2009

Robert Brockway wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Sep 2009, Rajinder Yadav wrote:
>
>> Anyone know of a good free or inexpensive site uptime monitoring site?
>>
>> I guess I could write a ruby script to test my site, but I don't keep
>> my linux box running 24x7.
>>
>> I came across http://basicstate.com/ - but they check every 15 min,
>> which I think the window is way too long.
>
> Hi Rajinder.  It sounds like you are after a monitoring system.  There
> are a lot of OSS options.  I've used Nagios for a lot of years but am
> gradually evaluating alternatives.
>
> You'll need another box to check on your website.  If a failure occurs
> it can alert you through email or SMS.
>
> With Nagios I normally use 15 minute checks per service with Nagios.
> The service checks are spread out so a box with 10 services being
> checked would actually receive a check every 40 seconds.
>
> It's important to repeat checks several times before declaring a problem
> to avoid false positives.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Rob

This is more than I need =), but will keep it in mind when I have a dedicated
server host plan. Right now I just wanted a way to monitor if my website is up.

I guess the server could still be up so a simple ping test would not tell me if
the webserver was down. I could do both a ping and http request for to test my
site is up and running.

I was looking for another site that would monitor website and send me an email
or sms text when it become offline.

--
Kind Regards,
Rajinder Yadav