site uptime monitoring tool

Robert Brockway robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
Fri Sep 18 05:40:01 UTC 2009

On Thu, 17 Sep 2009, Rajinder Yadav wrote:

> Anyone know of a good free or inexpensive site uptime monitoring site?
>
> I guess I could write a ruby script to test my site, but I don't keep my
> linux box running 24x7.
>
> I came across http://basicstate.com/ - but they check every 15 min, which I
> think the window is way too long.

Hi Rajinder.  It sounds like you are after a monitoring system.  There are
a lot of OSS options.  I've used Nagios for a lot of years but am
gradually evaluating alternatives.

You'll need another box to check on your website.  If a failure occurs it
can alert you through email or SMS.

With Nagios I normally use 15 minute checks per service with Nagios.  The
service checks are spread out so a box with 10 services being checked
would actually receive a check every 40 seconds.

It's important to repeat checks several times before declaring a problem
to avoid false positives.

Cheers,

Rob

--
I tried to change the world but they had a no-return policy
http://www.practicalsysadmin.com