Haiku releases alpha 1

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 15 16:01:01 UTC 2009

2009/9/15 D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org>:
> | From: Giles Orr <gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>
>
> | Nevertheless: Haiku, the Be-alike OS, has released (finally, after
> | eight years) an alpha version.
>
> Thanks for posting this.
>
> Here's why I won't be bothering with Haiku.

I may not get further than booting the live CD (I think there's a live
CD!), but I'm very glad Haiku exists.  A genuine alternative to
Windows that isn't Unix-based is a Very Good Thing(TM) in my opinion.
It gives us diversity in the OS world.  Before you say it's not a
"genuine alternative," here's why I think it is: any project that can
work for eight years without giving up has got some very dedicated
people behind it.  I think their work is likely to A) produce a
workable OS, B) produce ideas that will improve other OSes, and C)
keep going for quite a while even if there's low adoption.  These
things are, again, Very Good Things.

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/