OpenSolaris vs Linux

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 15 15:02:44 UTC 2009

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 9:05 AM, tug<tug.williams-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I tried the live cd a while back on my Inspiron 4000 (700Mhz, 192Mb).... you
> need a more powerful machine, it took forever to boot (at least 10 minutes I
> seem to recall).
>
> My reason was that at work the server side is Solaris, so I figured it could
> be a useful experience... I will give it another go, when I free up a more
> powerful machine.

Laptops have certain "demerits" for running an OS intended to run on servers.

Pointedly, Solaris probably hasn't had much work go into optimizing
boot performance.  It's important for an OS you'd run on a laptop,
that's shut down frequently; not nearly so much for servers left up
for months at a time!

I'd not be inclined to evaluate OpenSolaris based solely on its speed
at booting :-).
Mike Ditka  - "If God had wanted man to play soccer, he wouldn't have
given us arms." -
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/m/mike_ditka.html