Haiku releases alpha 1

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 15 14:59:13 UTC 2009

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 9:09 AM, Giles Orr<gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Somewhat OT.
>
> I'm sure that many of you read Slashdot and have seen this story.
> Nevertheless: Haiku, the Be-alike OS, has released (finally, after
> eight years) an alpha version.

Encouraging to hear!

It's probably worth knowing what, if any, lessons can map back and forth.

I suspect that one of the lessons is, "all those that imagine they
want to replace X, well, you can do it, if you accept dropping 99% of
the apps, and spend 8 years without a graphical environment."  (That
may overstate things, but I expect only in degree...)

I also wonder how much "Linux stuff" will run on Haiku.  I gather it
has a POSIX-y layer, so presumably anything that "lives in a term" can
shift readily.  The graphical side is the more interesting question...

A third thing I wonder is how good Haiku is for *today's* "multimedia"
stuff.  It was designed with a view to being very efficient at video
and the likes; there has been enough "codec churn" that I wouldn't
assume too much about what would and wouldn't work well or
efficiently.
Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach  - "Even a stopped clock is right twice a
day." - http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/m/marie_von_ebnereschenbac.html