Touchpad middle-click

Amanda Yilmaz ayilmaz-e+AXbWqSrlAAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 14 14:47:12 UTC 2009

On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 09:55 -0400, "Lennart Sorensen" <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 12, 2009 at 03:18:21PM +0000, Antonio T. Sun wrote:
> > On my Acer Aspire (AS5536), there is no way to simulate a middle-click by
> > pressing both the right and left mouse key. But I badly need this middle-
> > click to paste in the x-selections.
> >
> > I searched like crazy and found a posting which says, "In my debian I
> > have set Fn+ctrl as middle click and Fn+alt as right click"
> > http://linux.derkeiler.com/Newsgroups/
> > comp.os.linux.powerpc/2005-08/0035.html
> >
> > This is really a neat solution. It doesn't need any extra packages/
> > layers, but I can't get it works. Is it a mac specific tweak? Else,
> > anyone knows how exactly he did it?
>
> Does your X config have the '3button emulation' enabled?
>
> I have only ever used 3 button mice (and my SL500 has 3 buttons) so I
> have never looked at it much.

Enabling 3-button emulation wouldn't work in his case, since the Aspire is one of those newer laptops that has a single mouse button bar. This bar is like a rocker switch: you can press the left end for a left click, or the right end for a right click, but you can't physically press both ends down at the same time due to the rocker design. This design is increasingly common these days, probably thanks to the aesthetic influence of Apple's laptops.

My LG laptop (P300) has the same design, so I'd also be interested in a solution to this problem.

Amanda