Weird DNS question

John Sellens jsellens-Iv5KO+h6AVB+Y12zHexnB0EOCMrvLtNR at public.gmane.org
Wed Sep 9 20:06:35 UTC 2009

|    2. The webmaster of the site has asked to create a CNAME for this domain:
|       foo.bar.ca CNAME server.domain.ws
|       (yes, that's .ws  -- Western Samoa)
|
|    3. The local admins are saying they can't do this without locally
|       defining an entry for server.domain.ws and that they can't make an
|       entry for an "oddball" TLD such as .ws

The local admins are mistaken.

The bind data file would need an entry like
    foo.bar.ca IN CNAME server.domain.ws.
The local nameservers would not need to know anything specific about
any .ws domain.

For example, under my domain, I have CNAMEs that point to rogers.com
records, so I can get home from elsewhere when I want, but I don't
need any rogers.com records in my DNS servers.

Hope that helps - cheers!

John

--
John Sellens
SYONEX - Systems, Operations, Networks, Expertise