Can anyone recommend a webcam?

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 8 19:02:35 UTC 2009

| From: Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org>

| And of course skype should be banned.  I consider them far more evil
| than Microsoft. :)  Use ekiga or something else SIP and H.323 standards
| compliant.  Refuse to use the monopoly p2p based network harming mess that
| is skype.

I agree.  I've never used Skype.

I have used Ekiga.  It isn't perfect but it's OK.

Unfortunately, the ITSP world doesn't seem to support encryption.  In
theory, end-to-end encryption of SIP should be possible (SRTP) but
most sip calls are terminated at an ITSP and then go on what appears
to be (but generally isn't completely) the PSTN, in the clear.

Dedicated SIP ATAs like the Linksys PAP do not support encryption.
That is probably true of most dedicated SIP phones and the like.

We could use IPsec from our gateway to our ITSP except that I don't
know any ITSP that supports IPsec.  Michael Richardson offered to help
Unlimitel offer this service but it didn't happen.

Skype does support encryption, but of course we don't know how good it
is and how many parties there are in a conversation.