Can anyone recommend a webcam?

Tue Sep 8 16:27:29 UTC 2009

On Tue, Sep 08, 2009 at 12:18:12PM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
>On Tue, Sep 08, 2009 at 12:11:57PM -0400, William O'Higgins Witteman wrote:
>> I am looking for a cheap, simple webcam with a mic for Skype on Debian
>> Linux.  Can anyone recommend something that will work with minimal (or
>> zero) messing around?
>
>Something usb video class compliant.  The one unfortunate problem being
>that 2.6.26 has a bug in the UVC driver that makes it not work and that
>happens to the be kernel in debian Lenny.  Not sure if that has been
>patched or not.  2.6.27 and up works great.

I am running testing, and so the kernel is 2.6.30 - I'm hoping that
that is all right.  How do I determine if a webcam is UVC compliant?

>And of course skype should be banned.  I consider them far more evil
>than Microsoft. :)  Use ekiga or something else SIP and H.323 standards
>compliant.  Refuse to use the monopoly p2p based network harming mess that
>is skype.

I agree, but if I want to talk to my wife I have to enter the silo she's
in.  I will try to migrate her to ekiga in due course, but right now I
have a scheduled conversation with her tonight.
--

yours,

William