Gnome issues on CentOS 5.3

William Muriithi william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 8 16:09:43 UTC 2009

Hi pals,

Got an issue this morning with my laptop. For 3 weeks straight, I have
been suspending it instead of completely shutting it down. However,
this weekend the battery drained completely and it went off.

Now, when I switched it on this morning, it looks like gnome profile
in the account I was using got corrupted.  I can log in as a root or
as another sample user I just created. However, when I log in my old
accounts, only the console come up and the whole screen is black. I
can not enlarge or move the console, which imply X manager is not
running. In short, there interaction to the system under X is similar
to that under a naked console - I mean CTRL + ALT + F1

I have looked around the logs - message file and Xorg.0.log and do not
seem to get any errors that point at what went wrong. Anyone have an
idea how I can crack this problem?

If its not possible to fix the old gnome profile, is there a way of
backing up the bookmarks without initially logging in to that profile?
 That would be a good plan B

Regards,

William