cpu temperature

tug tug.williams-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 8 15:24:39 UTC 2009

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 06, 2009 at 10:22:32PM -0400, Madison Kelly wrote:
>
>> Adding to and expanding on Hugh's advice;
>>
>> Dust can block the exhaust fan or the CPU fan could have failed. Every
>> Thinkpad has a service and parts manual available on the download page
>> that has detailed tear-down instructions. This will help you
>> tremendously when it comes to clearing the fan and/or replacing it.
>>
>> If you have support in the hardware, install 'acpi' and then run 'acpi
>> -t'. That will show you the temperature on the CPU (and other thermal
>> sensors). From there, it should be a pretty easy task to hack up a
>> script to parse it's output periodically and record the temperature to a
>> file/DB.
>>
>> Let us know exactly what make/model you have for more help.
>>

> Yeah I try to clean the dust from the heatsink/heatpipe every 3 months
> or so.  It tends to make the machine run way quieter, and makes the fan
> happier, and the system cooler.  One time I did my wife's laptop and it
> dropped the temperature of the CPU by 15C and the fan stopped running
> at full blast.
>
> I find that a Q-tip works well after removing the cpu fan.  Making the
> tip damp makes it collect the dust better (but not soaking wet).

My "prone to overheat" Inspiron 5150 (my WinXP machine) - which has the
input for the ventilation fan underneath the base, I do the following.
a) prop the back up with a piece of wood to open up the air-vent to air,
as opposed to trying to stick it to the table.
b) regularly vacuum (whenever I vacuum my apartment) trying to suck out
what has been sucked in. It's much easier than opening up the machine,
and just becomes a part of the weekly chores