OT: Free* Vista upgrade to Windows 7 isn't really free

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 7 23:29:22 UTC 2009

| From: Madison Kelly <linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>

| Nope... Try $31usd for "handling and shipping".
|
| What a crock. This crap is what makes me love Linux/FOSS, wrinkles and all.

You are confusing two kinds of free.  Free as in beer, free as in
speech.  Windows 7 is free as in speech.  No wait, that isn't it.

When I bought my ThinkPad, it came with Business Vista.  So I was
entitled to downgrade to WinXP for free.  I was given to understand
that if I'd ordered the notebook with the downgrade, it really would
have been free.  But ordering it afterwards would have been about $50
(media (actually medium, but we'll let that pass), shipping, and
handling).  Restore disks for Vista would have been the same too.

The only application I run on Vista is "Windows Update".  I'd actually be
ahead if a blew away Vista.  Oh, and that ThinkVantage update thingee
(which Lenovo witdrew for a few months, driving customers nuts).