usb problem

Zbigniew Koziol softquake-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Sep 6 06:19:22 UTC 2009

Randy Jonasz wrote:
> Hey Everyone,
>
> I've run into a situation with kubuntu 9.04.  The other night, the
> hydro flickered on and off.  When the computer rebooted, the usb mouse
> was not recognized.  I've tried the mouse on another computer and it
> works fine.  When I use dmesg after inserting the usb mouse, nothing
> is registered.  I've put a ps2 adapter on it and it is working fine.
> There are no error messages that I can see when linux boots.  Is my
> fear of a hardware unwarranted?

My memory key got broken after it fall on the floor. When I insert it
into usb slot, an error message shows up in /var/log/messages. Perhaps
you should have a look into that file. Another think is that these error
messages are somewhat cryptic and misguiding. I my case, it took me a
lot of time to figure out that the device is broken. Googling is not
much helpful. I was not able to find a good information about USB
related error codes.

zb.