OT: Good Programming Courses Suggestions for technique rather than language

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Sep 4 13:55:52 UTC 2009

On Fri, Sep 04, 2009 at 02:00:00AM -0400, Rajinder Yadav wrote:
> What do you mean, you don't like Ruby's everything is an object syntax like:
>
> 	5.times { puts "hello world!".upcase }
>
> ;-)

OK, I had never looked at ruby before.  Now I actually have a reason to
never bother.  That is just ugly.  You have to look all over the place
to find out what that line is actually doing.

> I am starting to believe you don't choose the language, the language
> chooses you ... I guess whatever feels the most natural will be the best
> tool to work in.

Well maybe.  Just because a language feels natural doens't mean it is a
good choice for a problem, but it probably has a pretty good chance of
being a good choice in that case.

> I am sure there are very good C/C++ libraries that provide text
> extraction and perl like regex function and can do it much faster. I
> never used these, but these look like they would fit the job.
>
> 1) The boost.regex lib
> http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_39_0/libs/regex/doc/html/index.html
>
> 2) PCRE - Perl Compatible Regular Expressions
> http://www.pcre.org/
>
> Finding the right library can make a few things less painful.

libpcre is lovely, but C still sucks at strings.  C strings are awful.

--
Len Sorensen