OT: Good Programming Courses Suggestions for technique rather than language

Scott C. Ripley scott-VK/PCEBaDz+N9aS15agKxg at public.gmane.org
Fri Sep 4 13:33:16 UTC 2009

i would suggest looking at existing "design patterns" (Scott Elcomb also
mentioned this):
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Design_pattern_(computer_science)

if i talked to myself 5-10 years ago:
  - i would have found them a bit confusing..
  - didn't really want to code against a template...
  - couldn't quite see how to apply them to work-related tasks...
    (and didn't have someone more experience to guide me in their proper
use...)
  - etc.

attempting to make a comparison to something like woodworking:
   - when i graduated with a CS degree i had "tools in my toolbox" and
little else... (except for enthusiasm!)
   - if someone with a hammer/saw/nails and some wood decides to make a
quality piece of furniture:
      - they probably want to make a a few from plans before striking out on
their own design
      - when it comes to details like fashioning a quality joint in the
wood:
           - they're probably better off following an established practice /
design
             pattern (like a dovetail joint) than trying to invent they're
own...

anyways... (just my two cents worth!)

Scott

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 5:32 PM, Dave Germiquet <davegermiquet-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I am currently looking to expand my programming knowledge from more
> than College. College has taught me the basics of programming, Object
> Oriented concepts however not how to properly use them. I have learned
> alot of my concepts from looking at other people's programs.
>
> I am looking to take a course which gives me information on how to
> properly structure code and use Object Oriented programming in day to
> day use.
>
> Can anyone make a suggestion on where to find a course with more
> advance concepts of programming? Language is not really specific
> however I'd prefer java/c/php.
>
> Basically so I'm programming the correct way, instead of just putting
> code together to do a specific task.
>
> Dave Germiquet

Scott C. Ripley  (scott-VK/PCEBaDz+N9aS15agKxg at public.gmane.org)
mobile: 416.738.6357