OpenLDAP replication (syncrepl), duplicates and entryUUIDs

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Sep 2 21:31:54 UTC 2009

I've been having some issues with syncrepl and our LDAP configuration.

When setting up or rebuilding an LDAP consumer (client) I :
* Make sure that LDAP on consumer is stopped, and any existing
/var/lib/ldap/* is wiped out (exempting DB_CONFIG)
* Make a full copy of the master, using ldapsearch to build an LDIF
* GZIP the LDIF, send to consumer, unzip, and import on the consumer
using "slapadd -q -c -l /path/to/ldap_backup.ldif"
* Start LDAP on consumer

The client works well until an entry has the DN changed on the master,
at which point I end up with two copies of a given person with
different DN's. I don't get duplicate entries on the *other*
consumers, just one that was recently wiped/rebuilt

I believe it might be because our master is missing entryUUIDs. As the
setup here was pre-existing before I got here, it may have been and
older version of OpenLDAP that didn't have them. I'm not sure how to
create entryUUIDs on existing entries and go forth with them.

Anyone have any insights into this?

Thanks,

- Tyler