Gentoo performance benchmarked

Jason Carson jason-HjkH5KTEMfuEjziKL+yzSg at public.gmane.org
Sat Oct 31 01:41:39 UTC 2009

I know there was a fairly long thread about Gentoo a week or so ago. I
came across this link (http://www.linux-mag.com/id/7574/1) and thought it
would make an interesting follow up. Linux Magazine has benchmarked three
different GCC optimizations on Gentoo and compared the results with
Ubuntu. The conclusion...

"Gentoo did out-perform Ubuntu in almost every test, and sometimes by a
fair margin. It does appear that optimizing for a specific CPU can yield a
decent performance increase...The question is whether the amount of time
it takes is worth the benefit, and that’s a personal choice."

I've been using Gentoo for several years now. I was initially drawn to it
because I thought it would outperform other distributions but for what I
use it for the optimizations make little, probably not even noticeable,
differences but I stuck with Gentoo because I like Portage (The package
management system).