USB key == USB hard drive???

waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Fri Oct 30 06:14:03 UTC 2009

  I got me a shiny new toy at home this week, an Acer Aspire One 11.6"
laptop.  I had been intending to confirm that it worked under Vista, then
blow it away, and install Linux.  But it looks like I'll be keeping
Windows for a little while longer.  We're doing "pandemic planning" at
work, and one possibility is having MS Office loaded on my machine (OK
under our site licence) for me to work at home if required.

Regardless, I still wanted to set up a Knoppix boot USB key. So I
followed instructions, and

    * set up the USB key
    * selected "USB KEY" as the first boot option in the BIOS
    * inserted the key into a USB slot
    * rebooted

  But Windows came up each time.  A couple of looks later at the BIOS
menu, it finally dawned on me.  The item labelled "USB HD" had changed
to include a truncated description of my USB key.  So the key was being
identied as a USB drive, instead.  Once I figured that out, I moved the
"USB HD" entry ahead of the regular HD entry.  Now Knoppix comes up when
the key is inserted before booting, otherwise, Windows comes up.  If
anybody has a similar problem, your cause and solution may be similar.