pic/midi programming

Pete Lancashire pete-6NP59FE1ho9MFQD/ygXjfdBPR1lH4CV8 at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 29 17:42:55 UTC 2009

By PIC do you mean the IC family made by Microchip ?

If so here's a couple URLs from a quick search

http://www.audiomulch.com/midipic/
http://m.bareille.free.fr/midi2pic/midi2pic.htm

MIDI devices by them selves do no output sound, think if MIDI as
a protocol just like TCP/IP is.

A MIDI command in its simplest form basically says 'play note
x on instrument y for n seconds' (Not exact but). It is up to
hardware and software to take the command and process it. At
the very end of these blocks there is at least one Digigal to
analog converter (with filtering and a gain/isolation block).

As to your question on needing more then one DAC, the digital
data for these 'instruments' can be combined (summed etc) and
then fed to a single DAC. Think of a stereo amp in mono mode.

To keep this on a Linux/OSS level you can dig into the code
in some of the various music players.

-pete