Affordable video capturing card

Colin McGregor colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 29 15:42:27 UTC 2009

On 10/29/09, Tyler Aviss <tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> i bought a hd-pvr and I noticed they are still selling,
>> you sure they are cutting them, i might consider buying another,
>> records 720p and 1080i very nice in linux, and of course subverts all that
>> nasty copy protection, which oddly enough is fine to do in canada.
>>
>> tl
>>>
>>> Hope this helps.
>>>
>>> Colin McGregor
>
> You mean an actual PVR or a PVR card?. If the card, who's your
> television provider?
>
> I had a rather rude shock shortly after moving back to western Canada.
> Shortly after acquiring a PVR-250 (hauppauge) and *finally* getting
> all my MythTV stuff to work, the buggers at the default Cableco (Shaw)
> switched everything to digital. This renders my analog card fairly
> useless unless I want to manually preset the channels on the digital
> box, and apparently the digital signal is encrypted so a digital PVR
> card would be equally unhelpful.

Not useless, but ... There are IR blasters supported under Linux that
will let your Linux PC mimic the remote control for your cable box.
This in turn means that your MythTV software could capture from any
channel your cable box. The IR blaster set-up means one extra bit of
hardware, and a extra bit of software that needs to be configured, all
adding a bit more pain to things...

> I was led to believe it was the same with Rogers/Bell. Is this not the case?

No, there is a fairly large number of unencrypted analog channels
still available via Rogers.

Colin.