Affordable video capturing card

jing gargamel.su-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 29 15:21:51 UTC 2009

On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 10:14 AM, Tyler Aviss <tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> You mean an actual PVR or a PVR card?. If the card, who's your
> television provider?
>
> I had a rather rude shock shortly after moving back to western Canada.
> Shortly after acquiring a PVR-250 (hauppauge) and *finally* getting
> all my MythTV stuff to work, the buggers at the default Cableco (Shaw)
> switched everything to digital. This renders my analog card fairly
> useless unless I want to manually preset the channels on the digital
> box, and apparently the digital signal is encrypted so a digital PVR
> card would be equally unhelpful.
>
> I was led to believe it was the same with Rogers/Bell. Is this not the case?

Yet another example of how Canadians get screwed.  The US, AFAIK, has
mandated that consumers be able to use a digital decryption card to
port their equipment around (like SIM cards on unlocked phones).  Such
a feature is not available in Canada.  So if you buy a Rogers digital
box here in Ontario, you can't use it in Quebec or BC, and vice versa.

I'm not sure if Rogers is even willing to give a decryption card if
you import a digital box from elsewhere.