capturing an swf stream from the web?

Matt Price matt.price-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 28 03:20:14 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-10-27 at 01:47 -0400, Thomas Milne wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 1:37 AM, John McGregor <mr.mcgregor-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > Matt Price wrote:
> >>
> >> thanks for htis, john.  unfortunately, with the particular flash animation
> >> i mention here, I
> >> can't seem to get this to work.  Automatic conversion fails silently,
> >> while manual conversion fails with a not-so-helpful error message
> >> ("conversion failed").  do you have any idea what i might be able to do
> >> to improve the outcome?  if you try this file on your system, does the
> >> download succeed?  knowing that it does would be a pretty big help.
> >> Anyway, thanks again for your assistance.
> >>
> >> matt
> >
> > It works fine with Mepis 8. However that it failed for you may be due to the
> > fact that the standard Debian ffmpeg package has most of the transcoding
> > capabilities crippled due to patent problems in the U.S. I use the ffmpeg
> > package that is available from the Mepis community restricted repos which is
> > located outside of the U.S. Mepis 8 is heavily based on Lenny so it may work
> > for you as well (if you are using Debian, Mepis, or Sidux).
> >
> > Restricted repo : deb http://restricted.mepis-deb.org/mepiscr/repo/ mepis8cr
> > restricted restricted-non-free
> >

> For Debian see http://debian-multimedia.org/
>
> Pretty sure there's nothing that their ffmpeg package can't handle :-)

irritatingly, I haven't been able to get this working on ubuntu karmic,
which is what most of my computers are running right now.  The
debian-multimedia packages land me in dependency hell, and compiling my
own ffmpeg isn't doing the trick.  ghashin of teeth!  fortunately (but a
little humiliatingly) my wife's vista machine handled it without any
problems.

It's just possible that this is some kind of an interaction between
downloadhelper and recent firefoxes -- is anyone else using a recent
firefox?

thanks though for all the help, i'm sure i'll get it sorted at some
point.

matt

--
Matt Price