Acer Aspire netbook

Brandon Sandrowicz bsandrow-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 22 18:54:59 UTC 2009

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 7:31 PM, Christopher Browne <cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I then reinstalled the kernel package (which had gotten a bit
> overwritten by my "fight"), and discovered that recent Linux kernels
> can talk to the wifi hardware quite nicely "out of the box."
>
> Debian has something of a historical reputation of being Not Pretty,
> and of possibly needing some manual intervention to cope with
> hardware.  A Debian install in 2009 is Quite a different thing from a
> Debian install of 1999...

I would say that the state of wireless with the kernel (or just Linux
in general) than Debian specifically. All distros have had issues with
wireless which have largely settled down more recently. That said,
it's great to hear that Debian is improving rather than just
maintaining. It's been a while since I was on a pure Debian install.
--
Brandon Sandrowicz