Anyone have experience with Acer netbooks ?

waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 22 00:35:00 UTC 2009

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 12:12:37PM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote
> On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 11:06:30PM -0400, waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org wrote:

> >   Long live Gentoo.  From my /etc/make.conf (yes, I'm running 32 bits)
> > CFLAGS="-O2 -march=prescott -mmmx -msse -msse2 -msse3 -mfpmath=sse -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe"
>
> And now your code is no longer 32bit x86 compatible.  Only some CPUs
> will run it.

  It will run on *MY* machine, which is all I really care about.

> For me running a pure 64bit system has been rather easy and painless.

  Gentoo has long been able to run in 64-bit mode.  A few years ago, the
2 stumbling blocks were Realplayer and Schlockwave-Trash.  They didn't
have 64-bit versions, and I did not feel like futzing around with
compatability libraries and/or chrooting.  Realplayer is no longer
important on the web, and Adobe has a pre-release 64-bit linux flash
player at http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10.html

  I will give 64-bit mode a shot this time around.  No guarantees that I
will stick with it, but I will give it a shot.