Lone Coder: VirtualBox on Vista with a Gentoo Guest

waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 20 00:18:13 UTC 2009

  To summarize, a distro that is designed to take full advantage of a
bare metal install has problems with an imperfectly-emulated virtual
machine.  The problem is that Gentoo is running into something it was
not designed for.  As an experiment, I suggest the following...

   - follow the instructions for BIOS setup (on the host) required for
     installing an OS/2 guest (Intel-VT/AMD-V enabled and virtualization
     enabled in the BIOS)

   - then try installing Gentoo, it might go a bit easier

  I'll be getting a netbook soon, which will probably come pre-loaded
with Windows.  I just might keep the Windows around long enough to try
out Gentoo in Virtualbox.