[kinda OT] home network speed

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 19 20:27:54 UTC 2009

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 11:00:16PM +0400, Zbigniew Koziol wrote:
>
>> It is impossible to entirely shield microwave (which is certainly a
>> health issue as well, not to be ignored at all, only by fools). Its
>> radio-frequency power (inside) is perhaps 10^6 to 10^8 times larger than
>> that of cordless phone.
>>

> I don't think that's quite right.
>
> If my phone is allowed to radiate at 1W, and my microwave is about 1000W,
> then somehow I think 10^3 is more likely.
>
> I know the phone is not as low as 1mW, and I know the microwave can't be
> more than 1kW, so 10^6 is out, and 10^8 is just completely bonkers.

I don't think cordless phones transmit that much power.  Even cell
phones don't.  While the old mobile cell phones could do better than 1W,
IIRC hand held cell phones are limited to something around 0.5 watt and
frequently run much less, as they automagically adjust power level to
the minimum required for operation.  A ratio of 10^7 is certainly possible.