[kinda OT] home network speed

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 19 16:56:13 UTC 2009

Brandon Sandrowicz wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 9:30 AM, Lennart Sorensen
> <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
>> Wifi is great for being able to move a laptop around.  It totally sucks
>> for anything where you want reliable communications.  There are times
>> my network drops to 35KB/s (when I suspect a neighbour decides to use
>> the old crap 2.4GHz phone, given the problem always lasts about 1 to 10
>> minutes before going back to normal).
>>

> For that time period it could just as well be a microwave too.

Again, as I mentioned in a previous message, WiFi, as an unlicensed
service, enjoys no protection from such interference.  The Industrial,
Scientific & Medical (ISM) bands that many unlicensed wireless use must
be assumed to be full of interference that has every right to be there.
Those bands were originally set up for things like welders, heaters,
diathermy machines etc., which generate radio frequency energy, as part
of their operation.