[kinda OT] home network speed

Thomas Milne tbrucemilne-TcoXwbchSccMMYnvST3LeUB+6BGkLq7r at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 19 01:40:59 UTC 2009

Not sure even what question to ask, but basically I've got my desktop
machine with an onboard gigabit ethernet, a Linksys WRT54GL, and a
multimedia drive connected to my TV which has wireless networking
built in:

http://www.mediagateusa.com/mg800hd.html

For wireless, it supports:

(Wi-Fi) IEEE 802.11 b/g/n; Wireless Security: WEP, WPA-P5K, WPA2-PSK,
Wireless infrastructure and Ad-Hoc Mode

I've been seeing transfer speeds around 1.2 MB/s, which is about
1/10th what I was hoping/expecting. Was I expecting too much? This is
the first time this has ever been an issue, so I'm not sure how to
investigate this.