OT: Of Orange Juice and iPods

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 19 01:35:41 UTC 2009

A rather bizarre gift has fallen into my hands today: an iPod that
someone decided to pour some Orange Juice on.  I suppose this is
recommended by the people at the Apple Genius Spa, and the iPod
enjoyed it so much it decided to stop work forthwith.  It has
previously passed through the hands of another technologically
competent person (which implies I'm technologically competent, but
we'll leave that one hanging) who did their best to get it cleaned up,
but to no avail.  What interests me is the 60GB 1.8" hard drive.  It's
a Toshiba IDE HD with a ZIF connector - essentially a ribbon cable you
stuff into a slot on the drive.  Does anyone have an easy way to test
this so I can find out if it's worth investing further money?  Are
there choices in USB enclosures available in Canada?  It would make an
awesome portable HD.  TigerDirect is the only one I've found so far:
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4242581&CatId=4349.
 Other thoughts are welcome.

--
Giles