[Fwd: Archive frozen for preparation of Ubuntu 9.10]

Rajinder Yadav devguy.ca-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Oct 18 04:25:19 UTC 2009

Aviss,Tyler wrote:

> [...]
>>> I like!
>>> It's not bug free... I managed to crash it just after installing it by
>>> changing the hostname, but a reboot fixed it. I already submitted a bug
>>> report on that.
>>>
>>> A few things I've noticed already;
>>>
>>> - At the command line, when you pipe something through grep, it
>>> highlights
>>> the part of the string grep matched on. A small change, but soooo nice.
>>>
>>> - The default font size in terminals, and I mean outside of X, is much
>>> smaller. This means that when you do ctrl+alt+f[1-6], you have MUCH more
>>> screen space to work with. This is probably one of my favourite changes.
>>>
>>> - Gnome's wallpaper function now supports a set of backgrounds you
>>> can have
>>> cycle over time. And not just all the ones you've added, you can created
>>> different sets to use, or use normal static ones.
>>>
>>> - Input method switching now is done by ctrl+space instead of
>>> shift+space.
>>> This is long over due! For example, if I was trying to write a SQL
>>> query, I
>>> have a habit of capitalizing command words. I'd often switch to kana
>>> input
>>> when I didn't want to. That won't happen any more.
>>>
>>> - Input method switching now works in KDE apps launched in Gnome! I
>>> often
>>> use Kate and, until now, would have to write whatever in gedit or the
>>> shell
>>> and then copy/paste it into Kate. This isn't needed any more.
>>>
>>> - Kate not has predictive text complete pop-ups. So far, I don't find it
>>> gets in the way, and it seems to use some sort of learning because it
>>> brings
>>> up chunks of text I've typed before that would be in no dictionary.
>>> I've not
>>> made use of this yet, but I think I can see myself using it soon.
>>>
>>> - They've changed their theme to a darker brown. This is a small
>>> thing, but
>>> it is refreshing.
>>>
>>> - They dropped Pidgin for Empathy as the default IM client. I've not
>>> used it
>>> yet though, I just installed pidgin.
>>>
>>> If you or anyone else is interested, I'll post more as I get more
>>> used to
>>> it. In short though:
>>>
>>> I like!
>>>
>>> Madi
>>
>> Great update Madi, ya please keep me informed, maybe do another follow
>> up post in 2 weeks when the final release is out, and let us know it
>> some of the bugs you found have been plugged.
>>
>> I stopped using kate for bluefish early on, not sure if I will go back
>> to kate with the new changes, but will have a look.
>>
> Anyone using Quanta (web) or Anjuta (C/C++)? I like Quanta's interface
> but it's a real memory hog/leak in 9.04, Anjuta has served me well but
> if anyone knows of new features or changes I would love to hear on them

Hi Tyler,

for C/C++, have you tried Code::Blocks? I haven't done much C/C++ development on
Linux, but I was very impressed with this cross platform C/C++ IDE. I did use it
to port a unit test tool I wrote in C++ for Windows, setting up the project and
getting rolling was relatively easy, more so because it was similar to using
VisualStudio. Finding and cchanging complier/linker setting was intuitive (at
least for me).

http://www.codeblocks.org/

For web development, you can take a look at Aptana

http://www.aptana.org/studio

I like it because it has plugin support for ruby on rails, I have not used it
much, but plan to as I ramp up on my Ruby on Rails development learning.

You don't need to upgrade your Ubuntu to start enjoying them =)

>> I use KDE, but wondering what the new xfce is like, have you tired
>> taking that for a spin?
>>
>> I will ping you if you forget.
>>
>> --
>> Kind Regards,