[Fwd: Archive frozen for preparation of Ubuntu 9.10]

Rajinder Yadav devguy.ca-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Oct 16 00:32:00 UTC 2009

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 01:58:58PM -0400, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
>> | From: Madison Kelly <linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>
>>
>> | A few things I've noticed already;
>>
>> Thanks for the update.
>>
>> I run Ubuntu on some of my systems and I salvishly update when a new
>> version seems safe.  Thanks for being one of the testers!
>>
>> | - At the command line, when you pipe something through grep, it highlights the
>> | part of the string grep matched on. A small change, but soooo nice.
>>
>> How could it do that without violating normal UNIX abstractions??
>
> Only do it if output is a tty?  ls --color=auto does the same thing.
> If output is a tty, colour it, and if it is a pipe or a file, then don't
> touch it.

i already was getting colour ls listing in ubuntu 9.04, tired the grep
with--color and i see the match highlighted in color, so it must be an alias on 9.10

if i type alias in my shell i get the following output:

yadav at K64x2:$ alias
alias ls='ls --color=auto'

i think i am going to add the alias --color to grep now =)

--
Kind Regards,
Rajinder Yadav

http://DevMentor.org