[Fwd: Archive frozen for preparation of Ubuntu 9.10]

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 15 18:35:21 UTC 2009

| From: Vic Gedris <vic-2vUEnoANFF8dnm+yROfE0A at public.gmane.org>
|
| On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 1:58 PM, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
| > | From: Madison Kelly <linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>
| >
| > | - At the command line, when you pipe something through grep, it highlights the
| > | part of the string grep matched on. A small change, but soooo nice.
| >
| > How could it do that without violating normal UNIX abstractions??
|
| This has been around for a long time.  Maybe Ubuntu is now just making
| it a default by aliasing grep to "grep --color" or setting the
| GREP_COLOR environment variable?  man grep
|
| Not sure it violates any common usage.  When you pipe it, the color
| goes away etc.

Sorry, I misread what Madi said.  I almost always pipe the output of
grep to less and less highlights search strings.  So I pictured grep
somehow telling less what to highlight.  In other words: I was
confused.

I don't actually like automatic the only automatic colouring I notice: in
ls.  It makes some things hard to read on some displays.