OT: Trusted cellphone unlocking?

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 15 04:48:42 UTC 2009

Hey all,

Is there someone trustworthy in Toronto at unlocking cellphones?

The screen on my Rogers HTC 621 broke, and I hated the phone even
before that happened so I don't want to repair it. It's my hope to
replace it with one of the new Android phones coming down the pipe
(specifically the HTC Hero, the Motorola Cliq or the LG GW620 -- all
are quite nice). But that means a stopgap until then, which means
either buying a cheap unlocked phone, or (preferably) unlocking one of
the many castoff Fido phones hanging around the house.

There's one here that I'd like to unlock if possible -- a
Sont/Ericsson flip-phone -- and I was wondering if there are people on
this list who have gone through the exercise.  Who to trust? Who to
avoid? Can I do this online? (I'm looking at UK-based FoneZone --
http://www.foneszone.co.uk/nav/unlock_code_pricelist.php).

Any suggestions are welcome -- short of "just walk around Pacific Mall
and you're bound to find something" -- which is what I'd probably do
if I can't find some decent advice here.

- Evan