McMaster University Creates Open Source eHealth Records System

William Muriithi william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 14 21:56:23 UTC 2009

>> Now, if mysql can make google billions, why would you assert it should
>> not be trusted at all?
>
> Worst thing that happens if mysql fails for google?  They loose some
> add money.  Their search users won't care, the search engine still works.
>
> Simply not a big deal.  No comparison.
>

>From what I saw on that youtube video, its would not be as simple as
that. It need to work reliably to a cent else the customer would take
the advantage of the perceived unreliability to claim charge back.  I
quoted this case for one reason, the management thought it was such an
important database they even wanted to replace mysql with oracle. And
considering the number of people who logs on adsense a day, that would
have meant millions in oracle  licensing fee.

One thing we are missing here is the business model of google. Yes,
its true search engine would work and users would not be affected
initially, but if the business has no positive cash flow, those would
also eventually fail.

Anyway, that was my 2 cents. May be I am not good at explaining myself
or something