C is fastest

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 14 19:44:34 UTC 2009

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 03:12:33PM -0400, Rajinder Yadav wrote:
> Dang you would be a hard partner to convince that using C++ is better
> than C , that OO design/code is better than procedural C code and
> mostly Ruby is better then tab indented Python code ;) ;) ....
> kidding!!!

Can you believe I learned C++ before C and in fact learned C by finding
which parts of my code the compiler didn't like?

I do believe that if we actually want to take advantage of our now common
4 and 8 way machines, we need languages that are functional not OO so
that the language and compiler can auto generate multithreaded code
to take advantage of modern machines.  Most programmers can't write
multithreaded code that works.  Preferably they shouldn't have to either,
but I do believe they have to give up OO to get there.  Perhaps OO
doesn't have to completely go, but certainly I don't believe java and
C++ stand a chance here.  Microsoft may be able to do something with C#
or more likely F# (which is a nice looking language, too bad I don't
care to write code in Visual Studio on windows).

10 years ago, having more than one cpu core was for expensive servers.
These days a laptop has 2 or 4 cores.  It's time to get used to it.
The days of ever increasing clock frequencies are done.

--
Len Sorensen