McMaster University Creates Open Source eHealth Records System

William Muriithi william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 14 18:39:33 UTC 2009

Yanni,
>>> For business-critical work like OSCAR, using MySQL is probably a
>>> serious mistake.
>>
>> If it's good enough for Yahoo! and Wikipedia, it's probably good enough
>> for the rest of us.
>
> If Oscar is just a scheduling, billing and visit tracking app, then it's
> probably not a big deal. If it were to be storing patient history and drug
> treatment regimen, then I'd be worried that it's MySQL instead of
> PostgreSQL.

I am going to avoid  getting on which of the two database is better.
Its likely that mysql is inferior to  PostgreSQL for sure. However, I
do think you come out too strong to be frank. Problem is, when you are
that strong, people start wondering if you are being objective. Try
pushing Linux to a Window user in that style and you will not go far.

Now, the other thing you can not take away from mysql, is it does some
real critical stuff in real life. That history should ease your
worries if it were to be used in medicine industry.  I think you can
evaluate how much people trust a software by the dollar amount they
entrust to such software. And google comes in very handy at that.
Every cent that google makes is earned through mysql. I learned that
while watching their QA methods on youtube. Just google it to be
certain.

This is a quote from wikipedia..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AdWords

Begin quote
The AdWords system was initially implemented on top of the MySQL
database engine. After the system had been launched, management
decided to use a commercial database (Oracle) instead. As is typical
of applications simultaneously written and tuned for one database, and
ported to another, the system became much slower, so eventually it was
returned to MySQL. [14] The interface has also been revamped to offer
better work flow with additional new features, such as, Spreadsheet
Editing, Search Query Reports, and better Conversion Metrics[15]
End quote

Now, if mysql can make google billions, why would you assert it should
not be trusted at all?