C is fastest

Matthew Godycki mcg2-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 14 18:01:49 UTC 2009

> No mainly at java.  I don't mind people using C++.  I am not a fan of it
> and wouldn't really want to use it.  Java I put in the category of 'hate'.
>It is that bad.  It is actually harmful.

You folks really get super evangelical about this stuff don't you?  The
tone of these exchanges is bordering on the contempt often show by
religious crusaders.

The world of technology is vast, and there are many tools suitable for
many things.  As with all tools/technologies, it takes a good designer
and developer to make good use of the tool.  That's true of C, perl,
Java, etc.

I for one am thankful at all the Java frameworks I have available to me
that allow me to standardize the banalities of data access, unit and
integration testing, etc.  All things that matter a great deal in the world
of enterprise development.  In that world for example, individual CPU
cycles are irrelevant.

My budgets often break down like this:
- hardware cost:  50-100k for Linux servers
- development cost:  500k-$1million

So yes, development time matters.  For the sorts of systems I happen
to build a good Java developer is significantly more productive than a
C developer (let's remove the idiots from the conversation because as
we've all seen, bad code is universal regardless of the underlying
technologies).

Now, just so that I don't get called a pro-Java fluffcake... ;)  I grew up
on C and assembler and spent a lot of enjoyable time in UNIX systems
programming.  I certainly appreciate THOSE technologies and their
place in our world as well.

Cheers,
-Matthew